Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hippie Clothing and Accessories

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 13 years 3 months ago #753

• Doreen
  • MSB Junior Member
Dear Melanie

Hello and thank you for your message. I've always been passionate about tie-dye (maybe I was a Hippie before LOL), and yes I am struggling to get my stuff *out there*, I have advertised all over the internet already, I have a face book page, I have my own web page and I also attend our local market here in Kensington at the end of every month. What I really need is someone who is able to buy stock from me to then re-sell themselves. I'm not going to lie I've been so depressed lately that I'm ready to throw in the towel, crawl under my blanket and stay there....I honestly could do with a major break from someone or something to give me a boost in sales :0(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 13 years 3 months ago #757

• Melanie
  • MSB Junior Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Dear Doreen,

We all have a Hippie lurking somewhere inside B)

Stores will take quantity. There are challenges attached to this. Firstly you need to drive to the stores and start building relationships with the owners. This can take time. They are not always in the store and you need to make appointments beforehand to see them.

I always go into the store myself to assess whether they are a viable outlet or not. I like to see if my stock will fit in with what they already have there, and what they are charging for other products.

Then, they will want to put at least 100% mark-up on your goods. Depending what your mark-up is, this may make the product very expensive.

They will also negotiate for cheaper prices so that the product is not overpriced in their store. A reduced margin for you will likely mean that all the effort is no longer justified by the return.

Many stores will ask for goods on consignment. There are drawbacks to this. It will stretch your resources. Also, if they do not pay for the goods, they have little incentive to sell the goods. You may get the old stock back a year later, shopsoiled and damaged, and they say it did not sell and you need not bring more.

I am not trying to put you off. I am simply relaying my experiences with doing business with retail stores. A big order may feel like a solution from your current vantage point, but it may not be your ideal solution in the long run.

I still make my best money when I sell directly to the customer.

Bulk orders mean smaller margins for you and you can find yourself working very hard for little return.

How about finding friends who are prepared to host dinners where you can sell your goods to their friends? Perhaps there is a market with a wealthier customer base in another area? Have you tried advertising in a magazine that hippies like to read?

Think in other avenues and new ways and you will come up with something that works better for you.

I hope that this helps?

Kind regards
Melanie
www.dyeandprints.co.za

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 13 years 3 months ago #758

• Doreen
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi Melanie

OMW you are AMAZING...Thank You so much this is the kind of help I've been looking for and I see what your saying.

I will put your advise into action and see if there is any change. I never really thought about the bulk orders whereby I'd have to reduce my prices...you are so correct there.

Ok, let me get my thinking cap on and see what other avenues I can come up with. And no I have not advertised in any Hippie Mag's..not even sure where to find them, but I will do some searching and try that too.

Thank You again, you are a awesome person *Big Hug*.

Best Regards
Doreen

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 13 years 3 months ago #759

• Melanie
  • MSB Junior Member
Dear Doreen,

Any time :laugh: I am just an e-mail away.

Good luck.

Kind regards
Melanie
www.dyeandprints.co.za

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 13 years 2 months ago #811

• Marion
  • MSB Junior Member
You need to go where the hippies are! You will need to be at a market...or put up a stall at a trance party!

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 13 years 2 months ago #813

• Doreen
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi There

I do, do markets and I've heard of these Trance Parties but where does one find out about them, and I don't know of any Hippies as such in JNB. They are all down in Knysna etc :0(

All info available will be greatly appreciated. I live in Johannesburg and can't afford to travel long distances just yet.

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 13 years 2 months ago #814

• Melanie
  • MSB Junior Member
Hello,

Go onto Facebook and look up Red Eye or Bennie Koorts. He organises most of the Trance Parties in Johannesburg.

Kind regards
Melanie
www.dyeandprints.co.za

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 13 years 2 months ago #815

• Doreen
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi There

Awww thanks once again you came along to save my life...Your a star, thank you will look them up :0)

Best Regards
Doreen

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 12 years 11 months ago #1010

• grant trail
  • MSB Junior Member
How about selling online? you have almost ZERO costs and you'll be able to get a feedback wether you're in the right direction

Re: Hippie Clothing and Accessories 12 years 11 months ago #1011

• Doreen
  • MSB Junior Member
Hi There

I have been selling all my goodies online now since last year Feb, and yes I have received orders, but I need something that will give me either a weekly or monthly income. As at the moment I sell at a Flea Market but only at the end of every month and even there I don't always sell.

I have my own Website, a Face Book Page, and I have advertised all over the
internet of my services (Howzit, Gumtree, Classified Ads, Bid-Or-Buy etc).

I have had no orders now for the last 2 months and cash is tight :0(

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds